Re: FW: Back to the gas question... -Reply

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 1997 - 13:42:33 EST

At 10:10 AM 2/24/97 -0800, you wrote:

<snip>
>An 8-bit microcontroller would use look-up tables to find the appropriate
>injector duration and timing advance for a given engine speed, O2-sensor
>input, temp, pressure, and throttle position. There's a default table in
>ROM - what the SBEC uses when installed, and when the battery's been
>disconnected for awhile. A modiefied version of this table is written
>to volatile memory as the SBEC learns your driving habits - if you are
>happy with a certain acceleration curve, it maximizes the efficiency of
>the vehicle for that curve. Since most of us can't drive like a bat out
>of hell every day (no ticket immunity, among other things), the curve
>the SBEC 'learns' is pretty mild, so 'zapping the PROM' or disconnecting
>the battery so it loses this memory, will give you back the default
>"showroom" curve.
<snip>
>Jim
>
> @..@ ,Sam
> (----) @..@ ,Adams!
> ( >__< ) (-<=>)'
> ^^ ~~ ^^ ( >__< )
> ^^ ~~ ^^

That would explain the tire burn when I first left the dealer's lot and why
the throttle is much less touchy now (much more controllable in rain or
snow). Also the fuel econmomy has gone up, particulary on the highway.
I thought I had simply got used to the truck, but actually it got used to me!

Once matted, it becomes totally different .... almost scarey.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada