SBEC switch. Was: Re: FW: Back to the gas question... -Reply

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 24 1997 - 17:03:02 EST

At 09:41 PM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
[...]
>Imagine decent fuel economy to drive to work, then at a stop shut your
>engine flik a switch and WOW :-)

   My brother went on a snowboarding trip to Vermont with some freinds.
They went in a couple of vehicles, one of which was a Chevy
full size truck which had a setup like this. Apparently, the guy had
several chips. A dial in the glove compartment allowed him to choose
which one to use. So, apparently, such an animal does exist. How hard
could it be to apply it to a different chip?

  I'm surprised that the Mopar performance shops don't offer anything
like this. Maybe they figure people wouldn't think it was worth the 15
minutes that it takes to change the chip by hand? (I think its 15 mins...)

   Maybe they're right... The most I'd probably pay for something like
this is $20, maybe $30. The raw materials to build such a thing probably
aren't all that expensive, but you've got to pay someone to figure out
how to house and protect it from vibration and the elements. That might
be expensive... Speaking of which, where is the SBEC? No, I really have
no idea. :) I would have guessed that its somewhere in the engine
bay, but I've heard of cars that have them in places like under the
passenger side floorboards...

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.