FW: noisey mirror

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Tue Feb 25 1997 - 12:11:00 EST

Moise said:

>My '96 club cab 4x4 with large mirrors has exactly the same problem
(among
>several others.) The dealer has replaced the mirror three times to try
>fix. No problem on the passager side. It is very loud at times (sounds
like
>someone is blowing their horn.)

Jon sez:

> I have the larger mirrors, and I have noticed that they'll make noise
>from time to time. Usually they're OK, unless its a windy day. The
mirrors
>don't seem to like crosswinds too well. :)

Let's make this a general consensus... the large 6x9 power mirrors *DO*
make noise on a windy day or at higher speeds or a combination of both.
 In my case as well, the drivers' side is the culprit... I believe this
topic surfaced on the list a while back, and one guy had said that there
was a spacer in between where the mirror mounts to the door, and if the
spacer was removed, it helped with the noise problem... I personally
haven't taken mine off to look at it, but I *could* check my FSM...
Another pet peeve I have with the power mirrors is that they have about
0.25" of vertical adjustment, and about 0.25" of horizontal adjustment
(the power adjustment)... if you have any more adjustment than that, it's
back to adjusting them manually... I would've foregone the $100 or so,
and gotten another option had I known the limitations of the power
mirrors... but they do *look* good at least...

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/MSD Ignition soon!