Re: Headers 2

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@king.cts.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 1997 - 12:13:35 EST

At 06:31 PM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>you're right
>i have s dual system w/ stock manifolds and the thing pulls much better
>through the 2500-4000 rpm range

That's the HP pulling you, not the torque...

>-Mark (DesignTech@worldnet.att.net)
>
>1993. 5.2l, auto, 3.50 SureSlip, 4X2, True Duals,
>Emerald Green, S/B, Reg Cab. K&N Open Element ,
>Splitfires, MSD Wires, KEM C&R
>
>See Pictures At http://members.tripod.com/~MasterOfR
>
>----------
>> From: JERRY S DALTON <XGLT71A@prodigy.com>
>> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
>> Subject: Headers 2
>> Date: Sunday, February 23, 1997 6:45 PM
>>
>> Has anyone that purchased the Doug Thorley headers ever tried to hook
>> them up to the stock exhaust system? I really don't believe that the
>> headers are making the improvements. The tri-y design is to make
>> torque which the magnum motor already has an over abundance of. Where
>> the motor suffers it at the higher rpm's because it can't get and

   Well, 2 things. 1) When I went with the 3" CAT Back setup, I lost
my torque, but gained in the upper HP range (great for Drag Racing, but
a bummer when pulling a jetboat and have a FORD pass you! :( 2) With the
headers, the torque you lost by going with the 3" CAT Back setup, is back
with a 'HELLO TORQUE' in the low-mid range and a 'HELLO HP' in the mid range
and KEEPS pulling up to 5500 rpm (on my truck). It's the BEST of both worlds.

>>dispose of enough air. If anyone can prove me wrong I bet that the
>> cat-back system is where all the improvement comes from and not those
>> high dollar show headers. Besides if they were about performance then
>> they would sell then unchromed,(which they don't). I installed a dual

        Well, they're not a 'show' chrome by any means (they state that
in the instructions), AND actually got kinda plain looking after a week
of running in my truck. The plating bakes on, and is supposed to protect
and last a lot longer than paint (which fades/cracks).. The stock RUSTY
manifolds make the 'plain' headers look 'show' I guess. One thing that
will set the DT headers apart from the 'Hooker Headers' (or whatever
brand they sell @ Pep Boys for $149.95) is that they DT Headers have a
bolt-flange that's about 1/4" thick (I.E. No warping, or gasket burn out
with normal upkeep), and have a Lifetime Warranty against defects, etc..
(I know big deal, but it's SOMETHING!).

>> exhaust with the stock manifolds on my truck when it was new (5 years
>> ago) and improved the 1/4 mile by .4 seconds. I think you all have
>> the wrong picture here, it's not now much you spend, but take the
>> time to innovate. It's easy to get things over the counter and bolt
>> them on in a couple of hours. Damn I'm rambling again, sorry.
>> Jerry

        I did bolt them on, and it took 5 hrs! :)

        ...Sam '95 SLT