Re: K&N FIPK on a 96 V-8

From: Lee Jacobs (LJacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 13:13:07 EST

[snip question about 92-95 FIPK on a 96]
[Then sam replied...]
> Here's the scoop... CALL K&N and talk to Regina.. They are in
> the 909 area code (call information 555-1212 to get the number, I don't
> have it with me).
[snip]
> You CAN put an K&N FIPK on the '96, just don't try to smog it
> with it on... You can swap the FIPK out and put stock one back on in
> 15 minutes, so that's an option... I had trouble getting my '95 smogged
> with the FIPK, but a call to K&N (and spoke with Regina), and it was
> taken care of.

Thanks Sam, I called K&N (909)684-9762 but talked to someone other
than Regina. He said:
  "You cannot put the 92-95 FIPK on a 96, in 9 out of 10 cases the
Check engine light comes on and it runs worse than stock. This is
due to the computer monitoring the air flow (etc...). We'd love to
sell you one, but it wouldn't be right. We are currently trying
to develop one for the 96"
  I, personally, don't believe him about the 96. There aren't that
many 96's out there that would make it profitable to design and
sell a special application. <sigh>.

  This leaves me in a real dilema. I told Karl I would buy his FIPK,
but K&N is saying no. I've got the money order and envelope ready.

  Oh worry worry worry worry. What to do, what to do. Any 92-95 owners
want to match my bid on Karl's used FIPK ? Should I just put it on and
go for it, and if it doesn't work, try and sell it ??

Lee "How do I get myself in these messes" Jacobs - 96 SLT CC 4x4

   __
  / / ___ ___ Lee Jacobs
 / / / _ \/ _ \ LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu
/ /__| __/ __/ University of Colorado Health Sciences
\____/\___|\___| Big Aspirations, Small Wallet.

   __