Questions on Dakota

From: Chad Baker (ctbaker@inreach.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 1997 - 00:33:42 EST

Hello,

A recent trip to the local (Roseville Auto Mall, California) Dodge
dealer has prompted me to look for and join this email group. I am
currently looking for a new truck. I have looked at the Ford Ranger,
F150, Chevy C1500 and GMC equiv, Toyota Tacoma, and the Ram 1500 and
Dakota.

Gas milage is somewhat of a concern since I will be commuting 100 miles
a day in whatever truck I buy and I found I liked the styling and power
of the 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport with the 5 spd trans and 318-V8 with 3.55
Sure Grip rear.

My questions are as follows...

Has Dodge released any information on the 1998 Dakotas beyond the
introduction of the 1998 Dakota R/T? There are a couple of things like
the third door and passenger side air bag shutoff switch that are found
on competitors which I would like to see on the Dakota. I know that the
1998 Ram will be offered with the Four Door option. Any comments or info
on the 1998 Dakotas is GREATLY appreciated. I am going to another auto
mall tomorrow to finish checking out trucks. I want to have an idea if I
should wait until 1998 to get a Dakota if that is the truck I finally
decide on. Also, any idea why the Dodge trucks get the worse gas milage
of the trucks offered by the 'Big Three'?

Thanks in advance!!

Chad Baker
ctbaker@inreach.com