Re: Bed Liner for 97

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 1997 - 08:25:59 EST

At 11:04 PM 3/13/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I get my Black, 5.2L, 5sp, Club Cab, SLT+ tomorrow!!! I want to put a
>bed liner in to protect the bed. I have heard that this can cause rust
>and will scratch the paint. Does any body have experience or can
>recommend what I can do to protect the bed. Thanks.

Ryan

I just put a plastic bed-liner in my 97. To protect the paint, the
supplier installed an optional closed cell foam mat ($35) which is supposed
to protect the paint.

I originally installed a after market 'heavy duty' mat. It was made from
re-cycled tires, but I found it contained bits of metal (from the steel
belts on the tires) which very quickly left rust marks all over the floor
of the box. I got rid of it in a hurry. It only put it one scratch, but I
hadn't put any load into truck yet.

I like to look of the plastic liner and the fact that it protects the
entire box and will reduce (prevent?) denting. If the paint under it does
wear, it's cheap enough to repaint the box before selling it. I plan to
install a cap, so I don't expect rust to be a problem even if the paint
wears off.