Six bolt to five bolt wheel adapter.

From: A McEntee & M Jass (mjass@magi.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 1997 - 00:26:21 EST

I'm getting ready to take the fastback off my '87 Dakota long box and
getting ready to put it on a 93 to 95 CC 4x4 V-8 5spd.
 I have 10 years of collecting rims and mags from my '87, and it'd be a
shame for them to go to waste, so I got the idea of a six bolt to 5 bolt
adapter. I worked out the details and it should work! Two different types
are needed, front ones that have a hole in the center to let the hub and
grease cap through, rear machined in the back to fit the axle and a nib on
the outside to fit the center of the wheel. The lug nuts should not carry
ANY weight from the truck. Of the six studs on the axle one is longer than
average by one inch (this is the common lug between the six bolt pattern and
the five bolt pattern) and the rest of the studs are cut to 3/4 inch so
they'll be flush with the adapter. As well as the one long stud protruding
through the adapter, four other studs are inserted at 72 degree intervals to
recreate the 5 bolt patern. This adapter will be 3/4 inch thick, adding 3/4"
to the off-set and made of high strength steel, the same material that the
axels are made of.
What do you guys think, from a saftey issue, would you feel safe driving 80
mph with these baby's on?
When I have a chance I'll export the AutoCAD DXF drawings to a bitmap and
FTP it to Jon.

Michael Jass
mjass@magi.com

'87 Dodge Dakota Fastback... ASCII art version
               _______ ____
              /@@@@@@ | . @ '''---___
             /@@@@@@@ | . @@@@@ . . .'''---___ <-------------Back of a
'88 Plymouth Lazer
  __________/@@@@@@@@-'_______________________\________
 & . . . . . . . . . | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
   | () | 1987 Dodge Dakot Fastback | () |
    \__/ \__/

P.S. I'm going to be in Albany in mid April, How much does a digital camera
cost you guys in the States. Here in Canada the Epson runs around $600
Canadian plus LOTS OF TAX 15% ($440 U.S), I'm thinking of getting one down
in New York while I'm there if the price is right. Then I won't have to use
ascii art!!