Re: Gear Ratios [was re: '97 wind whistle]

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 13:09:38 EST

<< Don't get me wrong I like the 3.9, but for everyday driving the 3.55 would
 be the more logical choice and it looks like a lot better for gas mileage.
 First is about useless for everyday stop and go. I also live in a very
 hilly area (not much level driving) and I have always order the deepest
 gears I could get on a vehicle for this reason (0-60 times are always good
 to). However with the new Dak being a 5.2L it would have compensated for
 the higher 3.55's. >>

If you live in anything but level country then go the 3.92, the gas milage
will probably be better for the most part, not worse. I have the 3.90 in my
93 Dak and get 14 - 16 townish lead foot driving and up to 19.5 highway with
the air on. The engine runs with less lugging on all those hills and requires
less shifting. Mine is a auto and there is a big difference in how much it
shifts compared to others with 3.55 and higher.

My 2 cents

Bill