Re: DAK gears

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 13:31:08 EST

> I thought about it too (it was me), but for the most part I when
>I tow in 5th gear (a load more than 2000#) it is mainly on flat level
>ground with no-head wind. My friend's boat has little frontal area, so
>I don't have the wind to fight (except for the front of my truck)... When
>we 'haul aspirin' to the river towing the boat, I only use 5th above 60 mph
>on flat land...and don't run above 70 mph in 5th (which is about 2400 rpm)
>...I do though keep a close eye on how the truck is running, and YES 4th
>gear is a better gear for 95% of the time (and I do run in in 4th when I am
>below 60, or with wind...)

> ..Sam '95

When I pull my boat I can't use 5th except for going down hill. My boat is
a 19ft Wellcraft Center Console. Much of the boat is above the cab line,
lots of wind resistance. My best milage pulling it is 4th gear 60mph at
2700 rpm. But I can pull a regular trailer with over 5000 lbs of weight in
5th no problem.

Alan...