Re: extended cab speakers

From: Glenn S. Wiltse (iggy@merit.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 09:59:47 EST

   It's not clear to me which compartment your speaking of. The
compartments where the 5x7s are in the side pannels, are not
at all sealed, they are aproximately 2 ft3 but they are basicly
free air. The compartments that are used for tool storage/jack
are of slightly differnt sizes on my 1996, but they are
in the neighborhood of .5 cubic feet each. I wound up using
bird seed to measure the volume of the compartment that I
used for my 8" Kicker Solo Baric. It only needed like .4 cubic
feet so I had to build a wall to block off some of the space,
and that turned out to be the most difficult part of the project
since the surface is irregular and I was trying to make the
box totaly sealed. I wound up spending about 10 hours or more
getting that tool space sealed up and the correct volume for
my Sub, but I figure it was all very worth it, as I have utilized
some space that was not being used very well.

   Sound deadening... Funny you should mention that... I
spent about $2500 on my audio system, and after it was all
said and done some of the best spent time and money was spent
on sound deadening. I had my system all in place, and had
audio test CDs and a SPL meter, and was armed to evaluate the
overall sound reproduction qualitys of my system. I have a
couple Parametric Equilizers that I can use to fine tune the
Frequency response of my speakers/system, and I wanted
to know where the peaks and valleys were so I could adjust the
PEQ acordingly. Well I measured the response using 1/3rd octive
pink noise bands and the SPL meter, and tried to adjust the
PEQ to smooth things out, and only had minimal sucsess. About the
same time I was experementing with sound deadening material.
I installed some mat type material in my doors, and low and
behold some of the valleys I had in my Freq response, came up...
I also used some latex type roof sealer on some of the plastic
interior pannels, and that improved some things too. I have
yet to apply any material to the rear area of my cab, I figure
I'll do that this summer. The long and the short of it is
if your cab is making sound, or even just viberating, your
likely altering the sound that you ultimately are hearing
from your audio system. Once again, some of the money and
time I've spent deadining things, has been the most productive
part of putting my atomotive audio system together.