Re: Help!

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Sat Mar 22 1997 - 22:44:41 EST

An open element filter has the filter element exposed instead of inside a
can breathing through a snorkel and tube. You only have about a 7.5 sq in
opening for the snorkel. A 2"x10" open filter has 62.8 sq in to suck air
through. The FIPK is a K&N filter element, base and top that's suppoesed
to be street legal in all 50 states (and Canada too I'd imagine). The
FIPK's are spendie ($110 or so). Some of us cheapskates have put
aftermarket open element filters on our Dakotas and replaced the paper
elements with K&N elements for a bunch less. I paid $20 for and Edelbrock
#1208, and figure that the K&N 2.25x10 element won't cost any more than
$40 or so.

Larry