S-bolt for air cleaners

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 1997 - 08:48:20 EST

Hi:

I mistakenly deleted the instructions on how to fabricate the S-bolt for our
FIPK-clones. Can someone please send them to me again? Thanks.

Jeez, can you believe the air cleaner bolt setup that comes from the factory?
"Duh, I think I'll throw a big plate in the middle of the air stream to give us
something to anchor the air cleaner bolt." What were these guys thinking when
they designed it? It looks like they had an S-bolt in mind and then couldn't
find a company to supply them so they threw that big iron plate (exaggerating
just a little) on top of the throttle body.

Getting rid of that plate has got to be worth 10 hp by itself!!!

Here's an interesting bit of trivia for you: Half of the drawings in my '97
Dakota Service Manual show an S-bolt on top of the throttle body. The other
half of the drawings show the plate and straight bolt setup that came from the
factory.

I wonder, are the "correct" bolts available from Chrysler? Does anyone have a
connection in a Dodge Parts Department that could answer this one? Do any of
the previous years have factory S-bolts?

-Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv

'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, 5.2L/5-spd