RE: mild off-roading in 4WD Dakota?

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 15:35:57 EST

>>I don't know of any trails around here in Austin, but if you like to fish
>>Padre Island is a great place to take a 4x4. I have gone down there several
>>times in my dads Jeep. It is almost 60 miles of remote beach, and only the
>
>I've been toying with the idea of a trip East this summer (ughh, the heat)
>including Texas - never been to San Antonio. Looking at the map, Padre Is.
>is a Nat'l Seashore Preserve or something. Does that mean just no development,
>or is it illegal to drive on the beach (as implied), set up a primitive
>camp, etc??
>
>And when does the hot weather usually break? September?
>
>I want a picture at the OTHER San Diego!
>
>Jim

Jim

Padre Is. is definatley worth the trip, especially if you like to fish the
surf. Its also a good place to get away. Your alowed to drive on the
beach, not the dunes. A four wheel drive vehicle is required to go past the
ten mile mark, and from there on you can drive all the way to the land cut
at Port Mansfield. Depending on the condition of the beach it takes
anywhere from 2-5 hours to make the 50 miles.

I have made several trips down there. We usually camp out for a couple of
days, fish, swim, relax. The only people you see are the ones that drive by
from time to time. Very nice... There are two places of particular
interest, one of them is little shell, and big shell. At these two
locations the beach is made up of crushed shell instead of sand, we have
always had good luck fishing these two places. The water is clear because
of the shell bottom..

The wind on the beach usually keeps the temp resonable during the summer,
but you do want to use lots of sunscreen.

Fall the weather starts to become unpredictable, Huricane season starts, so
it is hard to plan a long time in advance.

Let me know if you need anymore info, I'm sure I can find tons of it.

Alan...