0-60 times

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 18:51:45 EST

Did some 0-60 runs with a stopwatch today. Did 3 runs with the stock
SBEC and 3 runs with the MP SBEC. I have no other mods besides the
computer and the K&N FIPK. I have 3.55 gears, auto, and NO suregrip,
and 255/60 15 Goodyear Eagles. Before I had said that I timed it once
at 8.2 seconds and thought I could do better. Turns out I was right.

Did this on a flat secluded stretch of asphault near the house. I first
tried the stock SBEC. I left the FIPK on for all the runs. Here's what
I did

1st run: 8.14
2nd run: 7.78
3rd run: 7.72 -- Held the brake and torqued it at about 1500rpm

I think the first one was my fault, I was afraid the tires would break
loose but they held very well. In fact on none of the runs did I get
ANY wheel spin or even a little slip. That's not to say I can't burn
'em up, I was just careful. Then I switched computers and put the MP
one in.

1st run: 7.57
2nd run: 7.23 -- Torqued it to about 1900rpm
3rd run: 7.35 -- " " " " 2200rpm

You can sure tell the differnce in the two computers when you do this.
The truck rev's higher and pulls harder than with the stock one.

So now I've got a best time of 7.23 seconds. I shaved a whole second
off of what I thought my time was (8.2) I think I can get to 7.10
without any mods ( I didn't come close to spining the tires ) I just
need to get on it harder at the start.

So what kind of times are you hard core racers getting. Would you guys
say my numbers are average, above, below? I've never raced before so I
really don't have anything to compare these to. I know Robert Cobb said
he was getting 60 in 7 flat with his traction bars so I think I'm doing
pretty good especially considering I've got SureSlip. . .

Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB
5.2, Auto, Mk III
MP SBEC, K&N FIPK