Re: Re[2]: Tech Question - 'A' Block heads

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 20:51:07 EST

ME>That sounds like the engines in the Mopar Performance catalog. They're big
ME>block (360 cid - 5.9l) and they're carburetted.

Sean> Big block? The crate motors (they're small blocks) use the same block
Sean> and head castings as the 5.9L Magnum in the Ram and Dakota R/T. Both

Sean's right, I'm wrong. They are small blocks with the Magnum heads and
what sounds like the P5249549 roller cam in the 300hp setup, and a crate-
only .501/.513" cam for the 380 hp setup.

Okay, so a stock Magnum engine with MP computer, TBI, and MP exhaust is a
250-270 hp setup. The 300 hp crate is a 5.9 liter carburetted engine with
the MP cam. What would I get if I dropped in the 300 hp crate, but pulled
the intake manifold and used my stock 5.2 l intake, dist., and the MP
computer from a 5.9l Ram (P5249546) ???

I think I could live with 290 hp. CARB might object, but I think I would
leave that pretty orange paint! $3500 + labor. Heck, it's gonna need an
overhaul next year!

Smiles,

Jim

--
Happiness is (according to Aristotle): "The exercise of vital powers
along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope."