Re: Re[2]: MSD stuff....

From: John Lindsay (jlindsay@oharamfg.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 1997 - 18:23:39 EST

At 06:29 AM 4/5/97 EDT, you wrote:
> Hey Maddog.
>
> My MSD 6A, Blaster coil, Blue Max wires, and assorted other goodies
> all came in the last couple days. It's supposed to rain here (MI) all
> weekend so my install will have to wait. Any tips or tricks to
> installing these in the Dakota? It looks pretty staight forward.
>
> Sean
> '97 318/5spd/3.55SG/Edelbrock-K&N FIPK clone
> MSD ignition awaiting install
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

 Well, as I said, I mounted the coil on the windshield wiper motor studs,
perfect fit. The MSD unit itself went right next to the SBEC, to the right
side of it. You'll only get three screws in it, but it's plenty secure.
You'll need some 10 gage wire to extend the MSD's power lead along the
firewall & over to the battery from that spot. Just route it along with the
existing wiring harness. I also put an inline 30 amp fuse at the battery
end, although the instructions don't mention doing so. And I soldered &
shrink tubed the connections.

 You'll be cutting the wires that originally went to the connector on the
coil, & running them instead to the MSD box. Crimp connectors are provided
in the kit. I also put matching crimp connectors on the original
coil/connector, so if the MSD ever fails, I can bypass it in 30 seconds.

 You'll need to know which coil lead is + and -. On mine, the + was
green/orange. This goes to the MSD wire labled "switched 12v power source".
The other goes to the MSD white wire. To find out for sure (with a volt
meter) which is which, you have to start the engine, for some reason the
computer doesn't power up the coil even with the key in RUN position unless
the engine's cranking or running.

 Oh, I cleaned up all the wiring by running it through those black plastic,
accordian looking tube things.... gives it a factory look.

      Enjoy....

                        Maddog