Re: Towing a 5th wheel

From: Corky (corky@lnknet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 1997 - 15:35:26 EDT

Bob Bradley wrote:

> Hi Corky,
>
> I am planning on buying a small 5th wheel in a few years and will be
> pulling it with a 95 V8 Dakota. I have not done any research into 5th
> wheel trailers and would appreciate any helpful first hand info you
> might have to share. From all the info I have read, the K&N FIPK should
> help you increase the hp of you vehicle. I have just installed one on
> mine and also a MSD 6A ignition upgrade. K&E claims a 19 hp increase on
> a Magnum engine. It appears that the combination has increased the
> performance of my vehicle. I'd like some of your comments on how the
> combination of your Dakota and 5th wheel work together. Presently I
> have a Coleman Pop-up camper.
>
> Bob BradleyBob, I have a 92 V8 w/tow pack and pull a 21 ft Wilderness 5th wheel.
Dry gross of trailer is 4010. Only problem I had was with the fan
clutch. when towing and the clutch engaged it was like throwing out an
anchor. 5 clutches later CC finally put in an "experimental" design with
a higher thermo setting and reduced blade pitch. Much better now but
they estimated a drop of about 10-15 hp when the stock clutch would kick
in. I live where the temps go to 120 and it seems to be OK. Lived in CO
before this and, without the clutch engaged, I could pull most any grade
and keep up my speed. Need more air in the eng compartment. Haven't gone
the scoop route yet because of the bucks. Couldn't find a front bumper
with a vent hole in that fit. Would definately help sinc3 the bumper
covers almost half the rad. Corky