some new info on the "ticking injectors"

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 06 1997 - 23:27:54 EDT

My dad went to an auto show this past weekend in North Carolina, and
while he was there he asked one of the Dodge reps (also a mechanic
for a team) about the injectors ticking on my truck. The mech told
my dad that they'd had problems with some injectors messing up with
this "ticking" sound and they were either firing very lean (solenoid
not letting it shoot as much as it should), or firing too rich
(opening up too long, I guess). SO, tomorrow in order to check it
I've got to take a couple spark plugs out and see if any of them look
like they've been running rich or lean. I imagine I'm going to find
that one of them is running rich because my gas mileage has dropped
about 1 1/2 mpg on trips since this loud ticking started, and I
haven't had any problems with detonation (so it couldn't be leaning
it out). So, I figure it's running a bit too rich. The only way the
guy said you can fix it is to just replace the screwed up injector.
The truck does idle a little bit lower than it did before the ticking
started as well. It now idles around 550 rpms. It used to idle
around 600-650. I've put fuel injection cleaner in it (homemade as
well as the over the counter stuff, and nothing worked). I've also
cleaned out the throttle body using the spray cleaner, and it still
didn't help the idle any. Power seems to still be what it used to,
but I guess above idle it can burn the stuff a little better.
Just something I thought I'd pass along to anybody who may have the
same trouble. . . .

- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd swb
s0042745@cedarville.edu