Re: drive train slop grease?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 17:08:42 EDT

>I have a '96 auto 4X4 3.55SG and have the same "slop" in the rear
>end. It clunks when shifting between D and R while stopped, and
>rattles when going over small bumps. It started at about 10K miles,

There is a possibility beyond the obvious U-joints: The transmission is
supported by a removable frame cross-member. If the bolts that secure
it to the rest of the frame loosen, it can cause what you describe.

Also check the rear tranny mount (rubber) and the counterweight on
the transfer case for any metal-to-metal contact.

It's hideously dangerous, but have someone shift R -> D while you're
under the vehicle watching the drivetrain (parking brake firmly set).

Good Luck!

Jim
-- The end of all our travels is to return to where we began and to truly
know the place. -- T. S. Eliot