Re: Performance upgrade

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Sat Apr 12 1997 - 16:00:45 EDT

William R Bell Jr wrote:

> Are people seeing a substantial performance boost
> with the addition of headers? Are they worth the money?
> Do hi-pro plug wires actually work?

        Well, I must say that I wasn't fond of spending $495
on DT headers, but am happy that I did... The complete setup
with a good 3"CAT back exhaust works TONS better than the
3"CAT back setup alone.. With the exhaust only, I got an
increase in mid-upper range hp/torque (seat of the pants dyno!)
I lost a bit off the line, and during the first 5 minutes of
driving (in the 50 F. mornings here) the truck would fall on
it's face just off idle until warm (back pressure issues with
the computer at full-rich).

        With the headers a substantial increase in manners...
No quirky power loss when cold, no stumbling...Mid range is
fat with torque (my truck was dyno'd with 250 ft.lbs. from 1650
on up to 278 ft.lbs. @ 3800 rpm)...High end is better too...
Plus another bonus is the fact that the truck operating temp
is less, running 1/5th vs. 1/4

        .= temp range now
        \= where it was before the headers.

        I don't having PINGING problems anymore (I have
the MP SBEComputer, which is notorious for pinging above 4000
rpm without super 104+, jet fuel, or the like!)

        I did my smog today too...Passed with no problems..

        ..Sam '95 SLT