Re: K&N clone

From: J B Cleary (bcleary@interlog.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 10:57:06 EDT

> Yet, given the rating for 650cfm or the like, you probably aren't
> getting that much flow with every setup... (like the sock around the
> stock aircleaner)... So, ideally the more open the element, the more
> flow... Why do so many drag racers run with NO aircleaner?? Given
> that, why do so many run shaker hoods/aka-Ram air?? So increases
> are possible...To prove it, I'm going to put an extra AC vent next to my
> K&N to see what happens ! :P
>

> ..Sam '95 SLT

Exactly. My point was to open up the air intake to allow the maximum air
the engine can flow without loosing the cool air feature. K&N or Stage I
makes a beauty for the Mustang with a new air box and dual snorkels vented
from the grill area. I would think this would be the optimum setup for
street and light track stuff but you have to have the room under the hood.

Someone mentioned excess noise from cowl induction. It reminds me of my 76
MGB which got boring with the 4 banger in it. I tore it out when the
clutch went and put a 327 with Powerslide. The only thing showing through
the hood was about 1/2" of velocity stack type air filter so I put a cowl
induction scoop on it. Did that thing make a noise when I opened it up!!!
The center windshield wiper started dancing like it was about to tear off.
I REALLY miss that car. Never had so much fun in my life. There was
nothing in or around town that could touch me and the whole setup cost me
about $500.00 including engine/tranny, mounts, driveshaft and Rad!