Re: Strange electrical noise

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 13:48:35 EDT

----------
> From: Mark Jones <mjones@ngl.ca>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Strange electrical noise
> Date: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 09:06 AM
>
> I hope someone in the group can shed some light on and electrical noise I
> am getting sporadically.
>
> I am getting a strong electrical-type of snapping sound coming through
the
> speakers when you put on the turn signal with the same rhythm (Soul I
> believe) as the turn signal (snap...snap...snap...) and when you apply
the
> brakes (snap). I should mention that my radio is not necessarily on when
> hear the snapping noise. This electrical noise is not always there, most
> of the time it is not. I am thinking that I have a ground wire that is
> making intermittent poor contact. I have checked my main ground under
the
> hood, which appears solid, but I am not an electrical tech. Other than
> that I am at a loss for the reason and source of the problem.
>
> Any one have any ideas or suggestions? There is no way I am taking
> something like this to the dealer; they just love this sort of a problem.
>
> Mark

        Buy a new dakota... Just kidding... A quick check is to remove
the dash panel (it takes a Torx driver to remove, get it at sears for
$3.00).
Remove all of the Torx screws on the front (8 or so), then remove the
2 philips screws on either side of the steering column... Take the cover
off, and now look at the radio. 2 screws ofset top and bottom. Remove
both
screws, and pull out radio. Check the metal grounding strap on the back,
it
is attached with a nut/stud. It might be loose (mine was when I replaced
my stock radio.) The strap connects to SOMETHING down there...
Check with an OHM /continuity meter to make sure it still is attached to
a frame ground. If you have a stock radio, and the grounding is good...
It might be the radio.. Now is a good time to replace that junker!
You can fit any DIN size radio, and buy the Chyrsler installation plate
($12.00 at Circuit City)... Then get the Dakota wiring adapter ($12 """).
Simply match the wiring harness connections on the adapter to your
new radio (wiring diagram included). This is all accomplished on a
workbench, not under the dash! Then disconnect the two connectors
and ground strap on back of stock radio, and plug into new harness..
Install 2 screws into faceplate kit (with radio in faceplate)...Put dash
face back on... You now have saved yourself $$$ on the installation
or repair of your radio!!!

        sam '95 SLT