Re: They skipped Mopar!

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 01:58:49 EDT

Matt Kunkel wrote:

*snip*

> I'm sorry but I can't sit hear and listen to this one sided view any longer.
> I like Dakotas very much and I think they are great trucks and have the
> possiblity to be fast. It is probably the best truck out there. But you
> say 'Ford 5-point-slow Pusstangs'. I have to bring you back down to earth.
> You shouldn't even compare them, but I will for you. First of all, there is
> no way in hell that your dakota can compete with a mustang in speed and
> handling. Most stock 5.0L mustang LXs are running mid to low 6-sec range
> 0-60. The dakota is left in the dust at about 8-sec, maybe on a good day.
> Most of you all are doing lots work to your dakota to get mustang like
> times. Second, a mustang handles like a cat and a dakota handles like a
> yacht. Enough said on that.

        Well, yes, and no... The 5-point-... was a cheap shot, but probably
was meant in jest. If you were to compare any vehicle to a Dakota, only
the
mustang is even close. 5.0 vs. 5.2, both V8's of similar HP... What
can
you compare a mustang to?? A camaro?? Not likely, the camaro (again
stock vs. stock)(however you spell it!) beats the mustang hands
down...So
given that, most Mustangs 'pick' on other cars of dissimilar abilities
day in and day out (Grand Nationals need not reply, we know who you are
and what you can do..and well, anyway)... If you were to make the
tables
even with the mustang (lighten the Dakota, evenly distribute the weight
front/rear, give it a set of duals like a mustang (stock), and competent
rubber wrapped around the rims...not to mention the aerodynamics of the
mustang...The dakota would beat it easily). Now, in my case I have
merely done modifications to offset my trucks weak points (heavy weight,
poor aerodynamics)... Given that, I have raced 5.0's on the street, and
won...and on the 1/4 mi and lost (by a mere 1' of a nose)...The
car I went up against had a Borla exhaust, underdrive pullies, and
a K&N open air kit... And after the run I pulled up along side, and
with an ear-ear grin I said "Hey, that was close...That was a great
run." The other driver's only remarks were excuses: "I had a lot
of trouble off the line, I was really late, and bogged badly." We
both had close R/T (.610 [me] vs. .614 [him]) He won!!, but JEEZ...
To top off the day a guy in a new '97 Z28 took me on on the drive
home... He had me at the 1/4 mile, but was even by 1/2 mile, and
I was 3-4 car lengths ahead by 1 mile...Again, I do drive a truck..

> Mustangs and Dakotas are in no where near the same class. A mustangs is
> built for speed and performance. A dakota is built to be able to carry
> cargo and tackle rough terrain. It is kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a
> Hummer. The dakota has great possiblities. With work it could be one hell
> of a sleeper that would challenge many sports cars, but the same work could
> be done on a mustang and it would dust almost everything out there. I like
> the dakota very much as a truck, but as a sports car, the dakota will neve
> be a Mustang!
>
> Matt

        Agreed, but wouldn't you rather have the Lamborgini SUV???
(A little bit of Hummer meets Ferrari...) The Dakota is a very unique
vehicle... Can tow up to 7000# (7100 on my truck & year), rides like
a car (somewhat), yet with a little modification (that doesn't affect
mileage or drivebility) can haul some serious butt... Of the cars I
went up against on the 1/4 mile...Only 1 vehicle could do 50% or more
of the things my dakota can do... It was a 69 El Camino... It ran 110mph
@ 13.2 in the 1/4 mile, is fully streetable, and the only things it
probably couldn't or should do would be to go off roading and towing
a boat/trailer...(Hmm.. sounds like a truck to me) All other vehicles
were either non-practical (4wd Eagle talon 2+2), VW bug, or
transportation
(Mustang, Camaro).

        So easy up a bit, take a deep breath, and remain calm....You're
in Dakota country!!

        (Sounds kinda corny now, but It's the thought that counts!)

        ..Sam '95 SLT

        BTW:
        Some Dakota owners are 'jerks' out there...ran into one today...
        The guy cut in front of me, and slowed down... I signalled,
        got in the next lane, and he did it again...Cut me off, and
        slowed down in front of me... I couldn't figure it out...

        Then I realize what was going on.. He wanted to meet up with
        me at the next street light... It seems we had a guy with a
        blue V8 dakota that wanted a little fun...

        Poor guy, I wish I had batteries in my camera, I would have
        LOVED to post the pictures...

        *For the AUTO lovers out there, it was a 5 speed vs. 5 speed...

        I guess the throws from 2nd to 3rd were a bit to much for
        the other guy :) :) :)...

        ..Later..