Re: They skipped Mopar!

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 03:24:02 EDT

Matt wrote:

> I'm sorry but I can't sit hear and listen to this one sided view any longer.
> I like Dakotas very much and I think they are great trucks and have the
> possiblity to be fast. It is probably the best truck out there. But you
> say 'Ford 5-point-slow Pusstangs'. I have to bring you back down to earth.
> You shouldn't even compare them, but I will for you. First of all, there is
> no way in hell that your dakota can compete with a mustang in speed and
> handling. Most stock 5.0L mustang LXs are running mid to low 6-sec range
> 0-60. The dakota is left in the dust at about 8-sec, maybe on a good day.
> Most of you all are doing lots work to your dakota to get mustang like
> times. Second, a mustang handles like a cat and a dakota handles like a
> yacht. Enough said on that.

Matt, I agree with you on the handling issue. I wasn't trying to
compare 0-60 times or cornering ability. The thread was concerning
the *availability* of aftermarket parts for Dodge trucks.

If you re-read the original post (not mine, but Jon's), you'll find
that he is complaining about the lack of parts for Dodge vehicles in
the latest Summit catalog. I used the Ford and Chevy vehicles as an
example of aftermarket parts availability, not as a comparison of raw
speed or handling.

> Mustangs and Dakotas are in no where near the same class. A mustangs is
> built for speed and performance. A dakota is built to be able to carry
> cargo and tackle rough terrain. It is kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a
> Hummer. The dakota has great possiblities. With work it could be one hell
> of a sleeper that would challenge many sports cars, but the same work could
> be done on a mustang and it would dust almost everything out there. I like
> the dakota very much as a truck, but as a sports car, the dakota will never
> be a Mustang!

Yes, the Dakotas will never be Mustangs (at least not without a *lot*
of assistance from the checkbook). If I wanted a sports car, I would
have bought loaded Z28 for *less* than what I paid for this Dakota.
Right now, I'd have 275 horses under the hood and the ability to go
150 mph. But I decided that I liked the truck better. :^) :^)

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone