rims

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 11:54:15 EDT

Backspace is the distance from the back of the rim (inside or outside the
bead?) to the surface where the rim mounts to the car.

Offset is the difference between the center of the rim and the surface
where the rim mounts to the car.

Two different ways to measure the same thing. If you know one of these
measurements and the rim width you can figure out the other.

The rim width is measured INSIDE the rim beads.

The stock predator wheels used from '94-'96 are 6" wide.

I think the predator wheels have a 5" backspace. I looked and there
really isn't much clearance inside the front wheels for turning. The Dak
2WD that I looked at with 235/75s was rubbing from hitting the frame while
turning. That's why I wanted to know about the backspacing on the '97
rims. I think more backspacing for my truck would be a bad thing.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD