Tow Hooks installed!

From: Slow@Primenet.Com
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 12:33:52 EDT

Fellas,

        I finally got enough time off of work to install my Mopar Tow
Hooks. It was very easy and took about four hours due to breaks and
figuring out the instructions. The instructions were missing 6 of the
16 steps but we didn't need them anyway. I had to unplug the fog
lights and remove the bumper/lower air dam. The plastic splash shield
was also removed and had to be notched on both sides to clear the
brace to the cross member. The Mopar instructions on cutting the
splash shield are wrong, and we did much less cutting then they
suggested. I did deviate from the instructions and placed three screws
on the forward edge of the splash shield after it was re-installed,
due to the fact that the two forward plastic plugs could not be put
back in. I did have to drill two 1/2" holes in the lower cross member
to brace the bracket and it was marked so on the instructions. I think
that the newer trucks have these holes from the factory, but mine
didn't.
        The hooks look great. They are almost right up against the
airdam as to not decrease approach angles and are very sturdy. 4,500
lbs. per hook ought to be enough to pull any Chevy out of my way, heh.

        I cannot remember who asked, but you could have a two inch
square receiver tube custom welded to the lower cross-bar and mount a
hitch ball there. I would not mount a winch on it though, as the steel
is too thin. My dad's neighbor is a welder and he said if I ever
wanted to we could redo the mount with heavier stock and mount a
removable winch on it, but I think I'll stick to a rear-mount for a
winch. It would be fine for moving a trailer around though.
        I took some pictures and as soon as I get them back I'll post
them on my web site for you all to see....

                Steve