Re: Paint Recall on 97 Daks

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 07:07:38 EDT

At 04:49 PM 4/30/97 GMT, you wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Apr 1997 16:28:20, you wrote:
>

>>Hey Steve:
>>
>>I found the same problems with mine. In a couple of places (on the box),
>>specks (dirt?) under the paint and when buffed, left black spots. Dealer
>>fixed all of them (including some re-painting) to my satisfaction.
>>

>Rob,
>
> It is in my opinion, overspray from painting the wheelwells. I
>was contacted by Chrysler and I bitched about it for over an hour with
>them. It is very minor on my truck, and I did not even notice it until
>I was applying Meguires Polish and it would not come off. I'll live
>with it, as I have seen too many vehicles go in for fixes and come out
>worse.....I did make them fix a very small dent in the truck I found
>the night after I got it, it was on the hood, right below the wiper on
>the drivers side. They were able to get under it and it popped right
>out, no painting or bondo required!!
>

> Steve
>1997 Dakota 4X4, CC, 5.2LT, 5 speed, everything 'cept the anti-locks

Steve,

I didn't notice mine untill I first waxed it either. The dealer had
already redone the drivers's door after they put a scratch in it, the day
after I bought it, when I took it in to have the trailer light relays
installed. On one side of the box, the dust flecks buffed away, but on the
other side they turned black.
They repainted a patch about 2 feet square.

I was very inpressed by the work. You would never know it had been painted
(no overspray on the box liner, tires or wheel wells - unlike another local
body shop who had painted some of my other vehicles). This good work was
done by the body shop of Wille Dodge Chrysler here in Victoira.

Later, I had them paint the roof of my wifes 89 Sundance (I hope the paint
for 97 is better than it was in 89), and they were a full 30% cheaper
($100) that the two local independant body shops that I used to deal with.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada