Octane Resurrected

From: rich_gambino@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 14:51:35 EDT

Yesterday, my July MOPAR MUSCLE arrived in the mail. I glanced over
an interesting article about induction mods which focused alot on
the magnum truck engines (V6/V8). I don't have the mag here with
me, but they discussed mods to the intake manifold and TBI. They
referenced an outfit called RC Perf. Engineering (?) that would take
a non-magnum after-market intake manifold (from MP) and modify it
to accept injectors for magnums. I think it was good for something
like 40HP on the V-8.

Then they explained some TBI mods, like increasing the bore, etc.
(sounded similar to Jules' TBI's). They also said V-6 owners
would see a good HP boost by using a V-8 TBI and not to forget to
have the intake bored to match the V-8 TBI bore (2" I think, compared
to the V-6 TBI bore of 1-5/8").

Where I was going with all this (sorry for the lengthiness) was they
said a known "problem" with the magnums was that the gasket for the
cover plate at the bottom of the intake manifold often blows out
and it can cause pinging. They recommend also to have a second steel
plate welded to the existing bottom cover (but leaving an air gap
between the two). This would keep the bottom of the manifold cooler
from the hot oil in the valley, and thus reduce pinging and give a
denser air charge.

I don't post very often, but just thought you guys would enjoy the
article if you happen to pick up the July issue.

Oh, one last thing, they have a picture of, I guess it's a tornado
clone from RC that sits on the TBI that's supposed to be good for 5HP
(they also show Kuk's bend rod for the air cleaner!).

Rich

'96 V-8 4X4 CC auto
MP cat-back, K&N drop-in, MP SBEC *PLEASE!*