Re: No Muffler -Reply -Reply

From: jbmisner@mtu.edu
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 15:42:25 EDT

Michael Meyerhoff wrote:

  At 01:30 pm 5/5/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anyone know the exhaust size going into and out of the muffler
  on a 92
>Dakota with a V6?
>
>TIA
>
>Gregg
>92 CC V6, msd ignition and meldrum clone soon

  I believe it is 2 1/4". The cat is 3" and it steps down between the
  cat
  and the muffler. I put a 2 1/2 dynomax super turbo on my 92 v6 and
  the
  difference was noticable; the sound is excellent (loud-mellow on
  startup/slow speeds and shuts up so you can here the engine at
  higher rpms)

  Now heres my question to the list. I looked all over for a 2 1/2
  chrome
  tip.. the one i finally found was $6 at the local parts shop. It
  now
  looks terrible (rust spots). Walmart has the exact same thing but i
  dont
  want it to rust again. Is there some type of coating i can spray on
  chrome tip to keep it from rusting???

Well, I don't know if I'm right, but in my materials class I'm taking
right now, we learned that when you fasten two different types of metal
together they will corrode (If there is a differerence in
electronegativities). If it is a clamp on or a screw on, maybe you
could isolate the tip with the exhaust pipe with something that is an
electrical insulator (duct tape?). Just make sure that they are not
connected in any way (ie. if the clamp touches the exhaust pipe, then it
better not touch the tip also.)

Anyway, that might solve your problems, but I'm not sure (I'm majoring
in Mechanical Engineering not Metallurgical Engineering).
Any out there?

My (well actually student loans) $.02
Jeff
'97 CC, Sport, 5.2, 3.55, auto, 2wd