Re: High RPM's etc.

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 00:59:01 EDT

> << On the automatics, anything above 75% throttle (or at WOT), the
> transmission will kick down out of OD... My '91 V8 did this, and I could
> only
> got 85 mph max!!! (anything above 85 was 75%+ of WOT, and the trans.
> would downshift into 3rd or sometimes 2nd! gear...a no go...)

If anything above 85 was 75% of WOT you must have had a problem with the
truck. I have cruised before at 105mph using about half pedal... When
driving normally 70 - 75 I only use about 1/4 pedal. I realize that
this is a crude estimate but that would indicate around 25% throttle for
normal hwy speed and 50% throttle for 105. I know when I did the last
one I accelerated slowly and the trans did not downshift. It probably
depends on how fast you want to get to a given speed, maintaining speed
takes less power than increasing speed. Also when the auto downshifts
it's not a "no go" its a "Here we go!"

You said your '91 did this, is a '91 a pre-Magnum? Maybe that changes
things a bit...

--
Michael Clark           mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB