Re: dakota 6-speed

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Thu May 08 1997 - 17:16:43 EDT

> A few weeks ago, I read the EPA mpg numbers for the 98 Camaro Z28. I
> noticed that the 6-speed Z gets 3 mpg (28) more than the automatic (25).
> This got me thinking about a 6-speed Dakota. It seems that that would be
> one logical way to help increase mileage on the interstate. I think they
> should offer a 6-speed with a 5th gear that is a bit shorter than the
> current 5th gear (for city overdrive) and a 6th gear that is a bit taller
> than the current 5th gear (for highway speeds). Then, today I read in Mopar
> Muscle that Dodge will offer a 6-speed tranny on some Ram models in 98.
> Does anyone know if a 6-speed could ever find its way into a Dakota (maybe
> the R/T??)? What do you guys think about a 6-speed Dakota? Just something
> to think about.

Have you ridden in a Z/28 with the M6? I think the 6-speed owners
spend a lot of time shifting. Yes, even worse than us 5-speed Dak
owners.

There is also the issue of CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selector).
The General designed the Z/28 to shift from 1st to 4th when you're
really getting on it. A handy solenoid locks out 2nd and 3rd gear.
This is meant to reduce noice, I believe.

I think the M6 was added to give the Z/28 great mileage so that The
General could sell a few more cars. There is a guy I know on the
f-body list who brags about getting 27 mpg when cruising at 70 mph.
He can also run the quarter in under 14 seconds.

One other thing: the reason that my truck gets such crappy mileage
is becuase I ordered four-wheel-drive. I'll always get worse milage
with those extra parts turning and producing drag. A six-speed won't
help that much.

I think the 6-speed that is rumored for 98 will probably have gears
that are lower (numerically *higher*) and closer together. The
application? Trucks that are pulling really heavy loads.

You'll still get beat in the quarter mile by a Z/28 with M6 but
you'll have the last laugh when you hook a chain to his bumper, throw
your Dak in gear and drag him/her back down the track despite the
protests of his/her smoking and squealing tires. (Paints quite a
picture, eh? ;^) )

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone