Re: ??Re 4WD shift on the fly

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Sat May 10 1997 - 10:59:40 EDT

On Sat, 10 May 1997 13:41:02 -0700, you wrote:

>How does the Dakota Shift-on-the Fly 4WD system work. Does it
>disconnect the wheels from the front differential or only disconnect
>the front and rear Drive shafts at the transfer case (in this later case
>the front wheels drive the front differential)?

        Only the transfer case is disconnected. The front diff and
shaft are always turning...

> Also, after shifting from 4WD to 2WD, is neccesary backup in order to
>disconnect the front differential from the wheels as on trucks from some
>other manufaturers?

        Nope. Just pull it back into 2wd. It's fast, positive, and
gives no hassles.

> I must be getting old 'cause I'd prefer Manual locking front hubs
>which are RELIABLE and you know whats happening.

        Me too. But for a "on-the-fly" system, what Dodge uses for the
Dakota is the best compromise.

        Steve

1997 Dakota 4X4, CC, 5.2LT, 5 speed, everything 'cept the anti-locks
http://www.primenet.com/~slow crude and always under construction