Re: Rear Axle Ratio 3.21 vs 3.55

From: Jane or Larry Elliott (elliott@serv.net)
Date: Sat May 10 1997 - 23:02:15 EDT

If you're looking for maximum economy you'll likely get better mileage
with the V8 than the V6. I've got a '92 3.9 with a 5 sp'd, 3.55 Sure Grip
and 4 WD with std cab and bed, a friend has a '92 Club Cab with 5.2, auto
and 4 WD and he gets better mileage than I do. It seems common from what
everyone on the list says too. The Dakota's a heavy duty and heavy rig
for it's size.

With the 5.2 you could probably get by with the 3.21 rear end, but unless
you're really howlin' down the road I doubt that there'd be much
difference in mileage between it and a 3.55, especially if you're going to
get a 4x4.

Larry