Re: Recalibration of SBEC

From: rlr (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 11:16:58 EDT

Scott Vieth wrote:

> > Of course, you could pay BIG BUCKS to buy the factory equipment.
>
> I would imagine that CC would follow Cat's idea and use laptop
> computer for this purpose.

  They didn't for the DRB-II scan tool. This is still a special-
purpose piece of hardware, and costs the dealer some significant
coin from what I've been able to glean (~US$2K).

  The technology is certainly nothing special, and you should be
able to achieve the same thing with a laptop and the right interface
hardware. I think CC is just trying to maintain control of their
engine controller technology, so that you and I aren't hooking laptops
to the SBEC.

  I haven't looked very hard, but I haven't been able to find any
detailed interface specifications either. What with products like
the Auto Xray on the market, the information is out there somewhere.

> > Does anyone have some information on the inner workings of the
> > Chrysler engine controllers?
>
> Maybe I need to start hanging around the garbage dumpsters at the
> Chrysler Technology Center? ;^)

  Man, that info has GOT to be out there somewhere!

  Ron