Re: Jiffy Lube -Reply

From: Jason B. Bleazard (jmbleazard@xactware.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 11:26:05 EDT

>>> "Scott Vieth" <scottv@msn.fullfeed.com> 05/15/97 01:42am >>>
> It's been my experience that these places will always find a reason
> to charge you more money. They lure you in the door with inexpensive
> oil changes and then sell you air filters or wiper blades at triple
> the price you could buy them at Walmart.
>
> "No, thanks, I don't need my wipers changed, air filter changed,
> radiator flushed or injectors cleaned."

They always ask me if I want new wiper blades and I always tell them that I
do, but not the junky kind they sell.

As for the air filter, when I got my K&N stock replacement it came with a big
red sticker to put on the top of the cleaner housing which basically reads
"mechanics don't touch." I could see them from where I was sitting, and
they of course took it apart and pulled my K&N out to look at it. I was about
to go tell the guy to put it the hell back when he apparently realized it was
fine and put it back in.

> How did they "clean" you injectors? Did they just dump something in
> your gas tank? You can buy fuel injector cleaner anywhere and dump
> it in your tank on your own (at a greatly reduced price).

No, they hung a can of something with a hose coming off of it from the
hood. I couldn't see exactly what they were doing, but I'll bet it was the
procedure described by Andre Mauboussin with tapping the the pressurized
can into the fuel line.

If you needed it, I'll bet it would help. But I really don't think I needed it. I'm
sure they think it's necessary.