Re: Rad flush and antifreeze

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 09:54:54 EDT

At 09:45 AM 5/15/97 -0600, you wrote:

>My truck is a '95 model (built 12/94). I've had it since last September. I
>haven't changed the anti-freeze, but I have no idea if the previous owner
>ever did or not. I've usually assumed that he didn't do anything, just to be
>safe.

Jason:

As it's only two years old, in my non-professional opinion, all you want to
do it change the anti-freeze...
perhaps thermostat as well.

>I used to take my Neon to Hinckley's Dodge for oil changes before I
>moved. They're the only 5-star dealer service center I'm aware of in the
>state of Utah.
<snip>
>I might call Hinckley's and see what they tell me about the rad flush,
>though. Good idea.

I'm lucky, I have a reliable mechanic that I've been dealing with for
years. He likes me because I always pay and never yell at him (do whine a
bit when the bill is higher than I think it should be). I usually run by
truck by his shop for an opinion before I go to the dealer. There are two
CC dealers here in Victoria (one I wouldn't go to for service), plus the
dealer that I bought the truck through in Duncan, about 40 miles away.
They have a good reputation and a good shop, just too far to go for
service. I can walk to work from the local CC dealer that services my truck.

>> There is also a difference between a back-flush (with water) and a
>> chemical rad flush ...using a fancy machine.
>
>Is the chemical method better? It would seem so, otherwise why would
>they bother with chemicals if they could do a better job with water.

A friend of mine used to run an rad shop. The chemical system is used for
neglected and plugged up cooling systems. I like the idea of backflushing
with water as it will remove all the old coolant and any contaminants as
well. Prestone used to put out a kit that allowed you to do this yourself.
 Remember to collect and re-cycle the old anti-freeze. If left on the
ground, it is sweet and will attract animals. One sip and bye-bye to your
pet.

A qualifier ...I used to do this for my 78 Dodge PU. I don't know whether
this is applicable to the newer Dakotas.

>Thanks.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia