sway bars and wheels

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 13:06:22 EDT

>From: John Walker <dakota@wku.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Sway Bars

} I was skimming through J.C. Whitney and found a couple of sway bars for
} the Dakota. The first, was the Hellwig which most of us are familiar
} with. The second, was titled "Heavy Duty Anti-Sway Bars". They have a 1"
} front bar and a 7/8" rear bar for the Dakota. They are only $99.98 each.
} The bars are made of cold-rolled 1045 high-carbon virgin steel. (Is this
} good? I noticed that the Hellwig is "super strong 4140 alloy spring
} steel") The bars are clamp on. Any thoughts or comments?

} I called J.C. Whitney and found that the sway bars are made by Addco
} Industries. I also called Jegs. Jegs has them for $167 and $143. I'm
} under the impression that the bars are the same. Has anyone used Addco?
} Is there anything to be aware of? Thanks for the help!

I never heard of 4140 being used for springs. 41XX is Chrome Moly, which
is very strong, but springs are generally made of 5160, which also has some
chrome in it (.8%). Anyway the Addco bar is considerably stronger
because of the larger size, and it works great as long as you don't mind
drilling (4) 1/2" holes in the frame. The price is impressive. The 1"
size for the front bar does not sound correct. Addco told me their front
bar was 1 1/8" diameter.

} I'm pretty sure I want those tires Andy. All I need is a set of 97 15x8
} wheels (tire and handling pack). Does anybody have a set for sell? I'm
} ready to talk business! I can get a set for $550 from Precision Auto
} Parts, a wreck recycling company in Arizona. If you have a set for sell
} please e-mail me!

Could you send me the number for these guys? The price is comparable to
the cheaper aftermarket alloy wheels, but I will look around locally
first.

} By the way guys, I think the wheels look really good on the older Dak's.
} The only negative that I can find is the front hub/grease cap sticking out
} of the center. The ram logo has to be removed. I get some pictures as
} soon as the project is completed.

Don't '97s have a grease cap? Ram logo?

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD