'97 SBECs

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 14:36:00 EDT

Somebody said:

>> First, I wanted to purchase the Mopar Performance Upgrade
>>Computer for the 5.2 Magnum. The Dealership tells me the computer
won't
>>be available for 10 to 13 months for the 1997. That's a long time to
wait.
>>Does anyone know of a aftermarket manufacturer that might have one
sooner?

Then Sean said:

>I've been told from the Magnum Perfomance Hotline that it should be out
by
>summer. Hypertech and JET are both suppossedly working on offerings.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too far for the '97 MP SBECs... *LAST*
summer, the MP guys were saying the SBECs for the '96 5.2s would be out
sometime in early fall, and we're still waiting... when I had first
called them in late '95/early '96, they also said "by late summer"... I
called the hotline last week and they said that they're still waiting for
CARB approval on the '96 5.2 SBECs. They also said that approval could
happen any day, or it could take a while longer... Now I don't know how
different the '97 engines are compared to the '96 engines, but the SBECs
should be at least similar... both OBD-II, MPI, but with slightly
different HP/torque curves... I'll tell you one thing, if the '97 SBECs
come out before the '96s, there's going to be some very PO'ed '96 owners
(including myself)... This has been a topic of discussion for well over
a year, closer to a year and a half... and nowhere has there been any
*DEFINITE* answers... We'll all just have to keep our fingers crossed and
hope for Ma Mopar to come thru for us!!

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/