Re: codes and mileage

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 15:16:33 EDT

At 01:16 PM 5/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello to all!!
>
>I've been reading all the discussions but forgot how to check for codes on
the '97s.
>I just completed my first full tank of gas after installing the K&N FIPK
clone (aka Meldrum).
>Running highway and a little WOT, I got 17.4 mpg (overhead console said
16.4). Not to bad I must
>say. Anyway, if someone could remind me how to check for codes I would
greatly appreciate it!

>Thanks again.
>
>Dave Thede
>'97 Dakota Sport CC V8/5-speed 4x4
>K&N FIPK clone

Hey Dave.

Starting from the off key position its on, off, on, off, on. The codes
will read in the odometer LCD panel. 55 will be 'end of codes'.

Update for everyone. Dumped the stock exhuast off my truck yesterday and
stuck an 18" piece of pipe and a 45 degree slant cut turndown on there.
Sounds KICK A$$! Sounds like a NASCAR Super Truck. I eventually plan to
install a single in/dual out muffler but for now this'll do the trick. If
I get used to it I may just split it and leave the muffler off. I can't
say how the truck Scott heard sounded but I wouldn't say mine sounds bad.
Loud, but not bad.

Didn't notice any loss in low end either. Haven't had it out enough yet to
determine if there's a gain on top but at least I didn't lose anything.
There's a good chance that a muffler will add a better gain as the little
bit of backpressure will aid in the scavenging effect. Will keep y'all
posted on what happens.