Re: Mileage issues..

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 16:20:21 EDT

Pat Buthmann wrote:

> Just curious,
>
> I'm wondering what everyone gets for mileage in their Dak's?
>I'm getting about 12 MPG city, and haven't really tested hi-way
>mileage yet. I think this is low (engine is barely broken in
>though), and I'm curious as to what everyone else is getting.
>'97 Dak, CC, 4x4 5.2L V8, 5 Spd, No air, Tire and Handling package
>(31x10.5). I figure I should get about 14-16 city, and possibly
>18-20 hi-way. Am I out to lunch in this or what?

Most people I have heard from get about 14-15 in new mid
and full-size pickups. I am so far getting 15.5 on my
mileage computer. I talked to a guy who owns a 1997 Ford
F150 Ext Cab with the 5.4L V8 and he gets 14.5 average.

I would like to think that the Dakota should get in
the high teens on the highway because it's smaller.
However, most Dak's are geared pretty high (3.55, 3.92)
and so they turn some reasonably high revs on the highway
versus Chevy's which turn ridiculous RPMs on the highway
with their lower (2.73, 3.21) gears.

When I bought my truck (last week) I saw a brand new Chevy
pickup with a 5.7L (350 cid) and it was rated 21 highway
wheras my Dakota was rated 18 highway. It made no sense
to me, but the gearing makes sense.

Phil
'97 Dakota
'67 Charger