Re: Brake Question

From: Russell Blahetka (russblahetka@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 23:01:50 EDT

Norah Kiraly wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> Is anyone aware of a premature brake-pad wear problem on the 4x2 automatics?
>
> I've been driving my '95 for 22 months now and I've only got 22,000 km on
> it. When I went in for an oil change, the Chrysler mechanic recommended
> that I get new front brake pads and rotors, repack the front wheel bearings
> and service the rear brakes. I went in and took a look at it myself and
> noticed that the front brake pad, passenger side was thinner than the
> driver's side, but it still didn't look like it needed replacing quite yet
> and the rotor didn't even look scored.
>
> I went in to the showroom to talk with the sales rep who leased the truck to
> me, who luckily happens to be a friend of mine. She went storming in to see
> the Service Manager yelling that: "This is impossible. I know Norah and the
> way she drives. She's also my best customer and plans on getting her next
> Dakota here. You better check this out yourself!" The Service Manager also
> agreed that the brakes should be fine for another 5,000 km and they'll check
> it on my next oil change. I still don't think they should wear out at
> 37,000 km.
>
> I also learned from the Manager, that the mechanics get paid by the job and
> not salary. So naturally they want to get the job in order to get a paycheck.
>
> It just seems a little too soon for this to start happening. Strange thing
> is that the exact same thing happened with my '93 at around the same time.
> The only difference was the the brake pad really did wear down quickly and
> ended up damaging the rotor so that I did have to have it replaced. I
> started to wonder if it was my driving pattern, but then dismissed that idea
> as my '81 LeMans didn't need any brake work for the last 3 years that I had
> it, and I put a hell of a lot more mileage on it than the last two Daks.
>
> Between the 3 vehicles that I've had in the last 7 years. The common
> denominator here is the fact that both brake problems were on the passenger
> side, both were Dakota 4x2 club cab automatics, and both happened around the
> 2 year mark with approximately the same mileage - 22,000 on the '95 and
> 30,000 km. approx. on the '93.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Norah Kiraly
> current: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 CC V6/3.9L/Auto
> previous: '93 Dakota blue 4x2 CC V6/3.9L/Auto
my 2.5 truck with 20,000 miles of 31X10.5 and then another 15000 of
smaller tires did not need brakes untill almost 36000 miles...and i was
able to turn the rotors ok...my other truck with 60000 miles doen't need
pads (i think someone already did them once) but will need rotors due to
the large rust crators on the inside surface which is common with these
trucks as well as caravans and cavaliers....i noticed this truck doesn't
brake as well as my other one and i think tha is why...

Russ

*Happiness is driving an A$$ kicking Mopar =)*
*   http://home.earthlink.net/~russblahetka  *