Re: Brake Question

From: Norah Kiraly (janor@ican.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 20:44:50 EDT

At 12:09 PM 6/11/97 +0000, you wrote:

>Norah, I had the same thing happen on mine, 94'.
>I have the 5spd CC. At around 30,000 I started
>hearing brake squeal one morning on my way to
>work. I checked my pads by looking through the
>wheel spokes, they had 3/8 of an inch of pad left
>which should be fine. I drove it during lunch
>and it started getting worse, so I took it by the
>brake shop. Turns out the drivers side pads were
>fine, and the outside pad on the passenger side
>was fine, but the inside pad on the passenger
>side was gone. Of course it took the rotor with
>it. The guy at the brake shop said the book
>showed that the dakota used semi-metalic pads and
>that somehow the inside passenger pad evidently
>was not, that's why it wore out so much faster
>than the rest. I don't know if this is true or
>not, but it was an expensive lesson.
>
>Now, the metallic pads that Dodge recommends do
>last a long time, however they do warp the rotors
>in some cases, and at $90 a pop that's not good.
>The second time my rotors warped I took them to
>Napa and had them turned for $7 a piece, then I
>bought the cheap pads $18 compared to $90 for the
>recommended ones. The Napa rep said they will
>ware out twice as fast but at least it will save
>my rotors.
>
>My dealer tried to blame the warp on
>improper lug torque so I started
>torqing my lugs (95 lb/ft), but that did'nt
>help, 20,000 miles later they were warped again.
>Imagine that.
>
>Good luck
>
>Alan...

If Dodge recommends the metallic pads, then why the hell don't they put them
in, in the first place. I'm not overly fond of forking out $600 every two
years for this kind of game. Of course my lease on the '95 is for 3 years
and this problem seems to crop up at the 2 year mark. Very strange indeed.
What's the price difference between regular pads and the metallic ones?

Thanks,

Norah

next: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 CC V8