Re: Gibson cat-back exhaust

From: rich_gambino@VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 15:58:56 EDT

>>}
>>} I got my MP catalog recently. The MP catback looks suspiciously =
>like
>>} the Gibson. Could be a coincidence, but its possible that the MP is =
>actually
>>} a Gibson. (Anyone know for sure?)
>>

>It is a Gibson. Well, at least that's what a dood named Osvaldo told
>me when I called Gibson...
>

> Steve

I put the MP system on my '96 last winter. I previously called Gibson
and at the time they did not have the '96 CC 4x4 available. I asked if
they made the MP system and he (don't know who?) said "no way. We
tested their system and it's annoyingly louder".

The MP system uses a 2-chamber muffler and I think the Gibson uses
a 3-chamber, thus the extra loudness of the MP one. Those mufflers
are all a standard size, I forget offhand but I think 7"OD x 30"long
with 3" inlet and outlet. I'm sure they look the same.

Initially I wasn't sure if I liked the MP system, it seemed too loud
at some of the rpm ranges for my taste. But after a while it grew on
me and now I love it. The main snag I had was it had no provisions
for the second O2 sensor, and cutting the existing system after the
sensor would not work because there was a bend in the pipe there (MP
said this would work; the system was actually for pre-96 Dakotas).
I had an adapter welded in at a muffler shop to accept the sensor,
and all's been great since.

Rich
'96 V8 CC 4x4 auto
MP cat-back; K&N drop-in; MP SBEC please!!??