Steering Linkage

From: RBusch1@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 13 1997 - 09:52:48 EDT

Carl,

I have a ‘93 3.9 LE CC 4WD 5sp.
Bought it new, and experienced what you are feeling from the beginning.
Complained about it along with several other things I felt were not right
with a new vehicle. Dealer blamed it on the collapsable steering column
and stated there was nothing they could do, even showed me the same
condition on other Daks on the lot. I could not live with it so I decided
to fix it myself. Open the hood and look at the steering shaft between
the upper and lower universals. You will see a rubber grommet where
the upper shaft slides into the lower shaft, this is where the play is!
I took a stiff piece of metal bar, about 3/4” wide and 1/16” thick,
bridged the area where the two slide together and attached the metal
to the shaft with hose clamps. The problem was gone! Don’t know
what effect this would have should I be in an accident but don’t think
it would have much of one, the clamps would just snap! Hope this helps,
I know it worked for me! Also, there are several grease fittings on the
steering linkage and ball joints that MUST be greased at every oil change!

Rich