dakota brakes

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 13:18:49 EDT

} Hi. Just got a mint(mostly) 87 dakota 4x with 37,000 miles and have a
} few questions. It was undercoated but all brake and fuel lines are real
} rusty. The brakes dont seem to work well and theres a rusty looking
} gizmo about midway back on the drivers(?) side that all brake lines
} lead into. I think it's an equalizer for front and rear, very rusty
} though and has a rusty spring on it.. Could this be a problem? Also,

Start by getting a big bottle of brake fluid and comletely flushing and
bleeding the brakes. Don't let any air in and the job will be much
easier. Stir up the crude in the master cylinder and suck it out with a
turkey baster, fill up with clean fluid and start bleeding. Right rear
first, then left rear, right front, and left front last. You will have
to bleed the first wheel for a long time to get clean fluid coming out.
Hopefully this is all you will need to do. I recommend everybody do
this every 2 or 3 years, especially if you have ABS. I can save you big
bucks in the long run.

} around and boats and soon enough snowmobiles. one more thing. I still
} have the original michelen 205/75's on it and wonder if i can fit 9.50's
} on whatever the stock rim width is(presumably 6")

9.5s are supposed to get at least a 6.5" rim, but many people but them
on 6" rims. 235/75s are an easy fit.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD