Re: Dakota question

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Wed Jun 18 1997 - 15:44:52 EDT

> Wakeman Massie wrote(from the Mopar Mailing List):
> >
> > I have previously been looking for an older daily-driver Mopar,
> > but haven't been able to move on the great leads y'all gave me
> > because I'm stuck with an import I can't sell (never, $#@@%!!!
> > ever again).. It seems as though in order to save my wallet
> > and salvage the down payment I spent just six months ago, I'm
> > gonna have to go to a dealer and "trade up".
> >
> > So, mopar it is, I'm going to look at a new 2wd Dakota tonite.
> > I know Dakota talk has been passed around the MML, but can someone
> > address (or Re-address) these topics for me?
> >
> > - should I avoid the first model year of ANY car, even a MOPAR?

Lots of people on the list drive 1997 Dakotas (including myself).
To the best of my knowlege, noone as experienced problems that I
would clasify as unique to the new model. In fact, I would venture
to say that noone has had any significant problems. I myself have
not had problem one.

> > - This will be my driver; Can anyone speak of the RELIABLITY /
> > LONGEVITY of 4 vs. 6. vs. 8cyl?

I think that a 4 cyl in the Dakota is going to wear out faster than
a 6 or an 8. This also depends greatly on how you drive it. Most
reliable mechanically will probably be the 5.2L V8 (which after all
has been around in current form since 1967).

> > - Is the 3.90 a good idea for a driver car that probably wont
> > be hauling often? The sure-grip?

I would recommend the 3.55 as the maximum. If I could have ordered
my truck, I would have gotten the 3.21 gears. I have the 3.55, and
I think my gas mileage suffers as a result. I would _definately_
recommend the SureGrip (in _any_ car, for that matter). It helps
in ways that aren't always obvious.

> > - The price differential among base 2wd Dakotas and Rams really
> > isn't that significant. Assuming I like both trucks, is
> > there any glaring mechanically-based reasons for choosing one
> > over the other?

When I looked at full-size Rams I couldn't even touch a club cab
Ram for what I paid for my fully-loaded cc Dakota. The Rams started
at like $22-23 and I paid $20,500 for a '97 CC Dakota with all the
options except 4-wheel ABS.

good luck,
Phil
'97 Dakota