Re: U-Haul turns into "Not-4-U-Haul"

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 16:05:18 EDT

I rented an atop-the-trailer car carrier for a one-way trip from San Diego
to Montana. I guess I lucked out, as the car I was U-hauling (sic) was a
SAAB Sonett - not in their book, but only 1900 lbs curb. I didn't mention
the extra engine blocks and parts I piled into the car.

The truck had no problem at all, even though I found out when I got back
home that the engine had probably run in open-loop the whole way due to
a bad O2 sensor (AAMCO had broken the insulator). I did notice that on
hills, and my gas mileage was only about 15-17 mpg. Similar trip with
parts in the bed of the truck had yielded 20-22 mpg the summer before.
I'm sure the drag of the trailer accounts for much of the lost economy.

While I was in Montana that trip, I hauled a load of scrap steel to the
recycler that weighed 2000 lbs exactly. The 4x4 is rated at 1800, I think.
The tail was down on the overloads on dips and bumps -- much greater
load than I ever had from any trailer I've ever towed. Truck was sluggish
up hills, and braking, but ran okay (this is open-loop too).

Jim
'93 4x4 CC V8