Seatbelt (non) retractors

From: Mark Seagondollar (segndolr@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 08:56:35 EDT

When I got in the truck this morning, I did my habitual fasten-the-seatbelt,
open-the-door, pull-the-seatbelt-slack-out-of-the-door routine. When I did
this, I thought of the impact (pun intended) of what would happen if I didn't.
About a foot of slack pinched by the door gives way, and driver/passenger meets
windshield in accident. I have heard from others on the list, in the past,
compalin about the retractors ("the rarest Dakota - one whose seatbelts
automatically retract"). When I mentioned it in a warranty service, the dealer
said: "Yeah, some of them can be leisurely about retracting, we'll replace them
free of charge." They took my truck for a day, got very little accomplished,
and found reasons for me to give them more money. I wasn't real pleased
(nothing to really complain to Chrysler or Dodge about) and haven't bothered to
go back. I now have over 90,000 mi. on my 94 CC and no other real gripes, but
the seatbelt thing started to bother me. I went to the NHTSA site, and found a
form that allows me to file a complaint
(http://www-nsa.nhtsa.dot.gov/voq_form.shtml) and let them know about it. I
want to continue to feel as good about my truck as I do, and suggest you do
also. Besides, it really annoys me when I get back to the truck in the rain,
and find the section that goes across my lap is hanging out of the door and
dripping wet.

94 CC Sport V6, K&N and a carpeted shelf over the back "seat" for a package
shelf, concealed storage, and a great view for the Scottie & Westie. (shelf
detail description upon request)