Re: daytime running lights

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@xmission.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 14:49:10 EDT

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Jack Snodgrass wrote:
> I don't really want to start a good -vs- bad discussion on Daytime running
> lights. I just want to know if I can get them going on my 97 Dak.
>
> I read in the Dodge stuff that daytime running lights were available for
> dodge trucks in Canada. I'd like to know if anyone has added the feature
> to a truck in the US and if so.... what did it take and how much did it
> cost. Thanks.
> Jack Snodgrass
> '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, stock

Not only are daytime running lights available in Canada, they're required.
Since I'm going to be moving up there with my '95 Dakota, I had to get
them installed or they won't let me bring it across the border.

Unfortunately, mine aren't as cool as real running lights. Those stay on
at about 80% intensity, and don't switch on until you put the truck in
gear. On my truck, the full low beams are always on whenever the key is
in the on position. Now, the only difference between the first position
on the headlight switch (formerly parking lights) and the second (full
lights) is that the high beams don't stay on in the first position. Other
than that they're the same.

I had them installed at Hinckley's Dodge in Salt Lake City. The total for
parts was $70.23. The three hours of labor it took to install them came
to $174.00 (I wish I made that kind of hourly rate).

I don't think I would get them put on unless you can get the same system
that they put on the Canadian trucks. If you can remember to turn your
low beams on during the day, you might as well just do that and save the
expense. I don't think the marker and tail lights pull enough current to
justify having a system that leaves them off but always leaves the full
low beams on.

  -- Jason Bleazard
     drazaelb@xmission.com

     Psi Corps is your friend. Trust Psi Corps.